How You Can Help Your Dog Undergoing a Back Ache?
Does your dog sensitive when touched on the back?
Noticing a stiff gait?
Unwilling to go out for walks?
If the answer to the above questions is ‘YES’ then your pet is likely undergoing a serious back pain issue!
Breeds prone to develop back ache:
- French Bulldogs
- Basset Hounds
How do you know if it’s BACK PAIN?
- Difficulty in standingafter a long rest.
- Stiff gait.
- Increased panting.
- Skipping meals.
- Showing disinterest in playful or outdoor activities.
How you can help your furry friend?
- Make an appointment at your veterinarian’s office and after a thorough examination prescriptionpain medication may provide immediate relief. But be cautious not to continue these medications for long without a discussion with your veterinarian about potential side eff Also, you will be advised to increase your pet’s resting hours, decrease the walks and walking only on a leash. Never leave your pet unattended when you notice signs of pain.
2. Physical therapyis recommended for back Your veterinarian may develop a special exercise routine to address your dog’s pain or refer you to a specialist. The vet may also suggest placing a heating pad on low power on the dog’s back for 10 minutes every hour to help relieve pain. That, combined with a few weeks of rest, is sometimes all that’s needed for the dog to heal from a mild back injury.
3. Hydrotherapy works wondersin dogs dealing with back ache issues. The buoyancy of the water reduces the pressure on muscles and joints, allowing them to regain strength and range of motion while minimizing strain. It also stimulates the blood flow and boosts the body’s natural healing process.
4. Laser therapy is another way of stimulating the body’s natural ability to heal. When the light energy of a laser hits the damaged cells, it stimulates blood flow, bringing more healing oxygen to the area and improving nerve and muscle function.
5. Therapeutic ultrasound uses sound waves to heal the injured area. It helps in reducing the swelling and inflammation thus relieving Because the ultrasound waves work at a deeper level than laser therapy, it works better for deep seated back pain.
6. Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese healing practice that reduces pain by improving the flow of Chi, or energy. Tiny needles are inserted into the skin at specific locations which stimulates the energy of the body part, reduces stagnation, improves blood flow, and relieves pain.
Healthy pets happy parents!!
Dr. Prachi Kshatriya